Academic Writing: Lesson 10
We'll now be spending the last part of our course revising and editing our research papers. This part will be much easier for most of you.
Revising and Editing:
In today's class, we learned about revising and editing. When you revise, you correct the content and structure of your research paper. When you edit, you correct grammar and style mistakes.
You then have some time to work on your peer editing task. For this task, you will revise/edit your partner's concluding paragraph. You need to complete the following for this task:
In next week's class, you will give the original copies to your partner, and the copies to me. The worksheet is attached at the end of today's blog summary.
For the last part of our lesson, you work on your peer editing activities and I had conferences with the first group of students. We will continue our conferences in next week's lesson in Room 217.
Blog Question #8
11/24/2015 01:38:33 am
11/24/2015 04:21:48 pm
11/24/2015 06:07:20 pm
11/24/2015 10:20:17 pm
1. It was very hard for me to peer edit my partner's research paper. The first time I read her paper, I couldn't find a single mistake on it except for the easy spelling mistake she had. I was also very unsure of my skills to revise someone's sentence. I learned that I have to have confidence when I revise people's paper. I looked through my papers I got in class for a lot of times.
11/24/2015 11:18:16 pm
1. Obviously, it was a hard work for me because my English is not perfect. I don't have any confidence about my English grammar. So editing and revising my friend's paper was difficult. But I could get some hints from friend's paper. There are many expressions which I didn't use in my paper. Therefore, we can improve our English skills and vocabularies through peer editing.
11/25/2015 12:09:48 am
11/25/2015 12:12:19 am
1. Although I have read classmates' essay, I've never had peer editing task before. First, I read well all my partner's research paper, and knew her topic. After, I started to revise her structure. To do this, I read each body paragraphs a few times. Also I edited conclusion, and thought my comments for her paper. It was hard to think good comment,and I think I have many mistakes in my peer editing task. However, I learned new phrases and words I didn't know from my partner's research paper.
11/25/2015 12:30:10 am
1. Because I did not peer editing task in IE1 to 3, I did not know how to do and what should I do to edit and revise my pertner's paper. So, I think if I took mistake, I will try my best as much as I can. Firstly I read through the paper to understand contents but I did not correct. Second, I read the paper again and if I found mistake, I underlined it by pencil because this check may be wrong. Next, I read conclusion and compared each part in order introduction to BP3 again and again. Finally I corrected underlined part with proper color pen. This task was difficult but good experience for me. Through this task, I think I could learn some technique to write essay.
11/25/2015 01:00:52 am
11/25/2015 01:01:27 am
1 I found it very difficult to edit other people's writings. I think this is because what I thought about the writings could be the right thing for the writers. Only the grammer cheking is much more easy― only to find what is right or what is wrong. However, another type of editing is just a sort of feelings. Even I have manuals of editing, it is difficult for me to fix the writings correctly.
11/25/2015 01:11:23 am
11/25/2015 02:00:46 am
1. Editing others essay was quite hard task, and I found it quite difficult to correct the errors because I was not sure whether those errors were really wrong or not. Through this practice, I could realize how hard it is to detect wrong words and grammar. In addition, commenting something on the essay was also complicated task. All in all, it was really tough but useful study.
11/25/2015 02:13:18 am
11/25/2015 07:46:00 am
Hi Nicole. I'm really sorry for posting late.
11/25/2015 02:04:11 pm
Leave a Reply.