AW Fall 2013: Lesson 1
It was really great to meet everyone in today’s class. I really appreciated your attention and group participation during our class activities.
Academic Writing is one of the most difficult skills in English to master. Please remember that Academic Writing is even difficult for native-speakers. When I have to write research papers for conference presentations, it usually takes me one hour to write just one page! Although this course will be challenging, you will be able to improve your writing and critical thinking skills. However, it will be very important to complete the weekly assignments. Remember to manage your time and give yourself enough time to complete your writing tasks.
In our lesson, we read a model essay and then identified the different parts:
2. Body Paragraphs (3)
For the last part of class, we looked at the different categories you can choose your research paper topic from:
1. American and British Literature
2. Applied Linguistics
When you choose your topic, make sure it is specific. Refer to the handout in class to help you narrow down your topics.
Blog Question #1:
*Write 8-10 sentences.
*Use capitalization, punctuation & spelling correctly.
*Submit by Wednesday, October 2 by 6:00pm.
9/28/2013 05:39:26 pm
1. The difference is, an essay is just writing your own thought about something but a research essay is writing the thoughts of other people and comparing it to your own thoughts.
1. There are 3 big differences between essay and research papaer. First of all, the latter has good examples of individuals, especially of others. Personal experieces of people other than the writer give the reader more persuasion because it sounds more unprejudiced. Secondly, the latter one includes detailed explanation and statistics. In the sample essay, I cannot find any numbers, whereas there are statistics and certain data in the research paper. Third difference is resource. The latter has statistics and its resource is clearly shown, thus I can see the validity in the data quoted and the statement.
9/30/2013 04:44:04 pm
1.There are some differences between an essay and a reserch paper. The first one is that a reserch paper uses someone's experiences about a topic. Maybe this enable a writer to strengthen his opinion. So a reserch paper is shown more detailed thoughts than an essay. The second one is that a reserch paper is more objective than an essay. An essay sometimes contain writer's perspective to the topic, so it cannot be said objective opinion. But a reserch paper doesn't use "I" and is based on the true stories or experiences. So it can be said that a reseach paper is more objective than an essay and its opinion in a reserch paper reply to all people.
9/30/2013 04:48:33 pm
1. The big difference between an essay and a reserch paper is point of view. An essay is written by first person and a writer can write anything, bacause the writer's opinion cannnot to be restricted. On the other hand, a research paper is written by third person. Therefore, a writer has to varify an argument using support from other people's ideas and information instead of writing the writer's own opinion.
9/30/2013 11:32:50 pm
1. I think the difference between essay and research paper is that there are correct date and source or not. In the research paper, there are many correct dates and source, so it is credible and readers can understand its topic more deeply and if they have some questions when they read it, they can research by using its sources. However, on the other hand, in the essay, there is no correct date and source, so essay lacks credibility and if they want to research something about it, they can not do that. Moreover, essay is sometimes subjective, and this makes essay unreliable.
10/1/2013 01:17:35 am
1. I can find some differences between an essay and a research essay. One of the differences is the depth of information. In an essay, general and a little information is given for each topic. On the other hand, in a reseach essay, many and deep facts are given for one thing. The other one is the point of view. When we write simple essay, we should make simple sentences to have readers understand easily. However, when we write a research essay, we have to try to approach the topic from every angle and research. And we can get more information about that. Therefore, we write much more in a research essay than in a simple essay because of the depth and angle of information.
10/1/2013 01:19:35 am
1. I think there is a big difference beween an essay and a research paper. Own opinion is included in an essay. So we can use "I" in an essay. However in a research paper, an opinion except own is included. So we cannot use "I". Consequently, an essay is good when we want to know the personal opinion of own and a research paper is good when we want to know the fact or an opinion having high reliability.
10/1/2013 01:17:46 pm
1. An essay is written by first person about something. It can be written his own thought or feeling. On the other hand, a research paper is written by third person. The form is consisted of three parts; introduction, body, and conclusion. Introduction should contain hook statement, general statement, thesis statement. Body paragraphs are made up three paragraphs with topic sentence, supporting sentences, and concluding sentence. And conclusion is consistted of thesis restatement, summary of body paragraphs, and final thoughts. To support the opinion, writer have to use valuable, credible articles. Then a research paper will be more academic and logical. That is the difference between an essay and a research paper.
10/1/2013 02:03:16 pm
1. I think research paper quotes statistics and figures. And research paper cites references frequently, so it is more reliable and objective than essay. Finally, research paper has a page of a list of referenceslastly.
10/1/2013 03:27:16 pm
1, I think there are some differences between a research paper and an essay. First, when you write an research paper, you cannot use your opinion and "I," though you can use them when you write an essay. I guess that is the biggest difference between them. Secondly, you have to cite the resources used for it when you write a research paper. When you write a essay, maybe you need not to do it. Thirdly, comparing to an ordinary essay, a research paper has a longer paragraph. Also, you may have to write more than 5 paragraphs. We have to write quite a lot sentences!
10/1/2013 04:26:34 pm
1. There are some different points between an essay and a research paper. One of the differences is the point of view. An essay is written by the first person. It shows the writer's opinion. On the other hand, a research paper is written by the third person. It shows facts about the topic. The other difference is the amount of information. A research paper has more detailed information than an essay.
10/1/2013 04:52:04 pm
1.There are differences between an essay and a research paper. A essay includes the writer's personal opinion. So, a essay is a one-sided view and there is no conclusive evidence. Moreover, the writer uses "I". On the other hand, a research paper based on a result of research, andcorrect information. So, a research paper is general. The point of view is from third person.
10/1/2013 05:21:04 pm
1.There are some differences between essay and research paper. I think that the differences are mainly point of view, length and need or no need of comprehensive understanding for the topic. First of all, in writing essay, we use "I" for the subject. In contrast, we write research paper with third person for the subject. Secondly, we have to write research paper longer in length compared with essay. In research paper, we need to use quotation so inevitably research paper is longer than essay. And finally, we have to understand the topic of research paper's topic more comprehensively than writing an essay. We need comprehensive understanding for the topic when we research or choose sources.
10/1/2013 05:50:17 pm
1.I think there are some differences between essay and research essay. One big diffrerence is the contents. People write their idea and they do not have to do so much research in essay. However, people must research deeply to make sure ther idea in research essay. This is why, people who wrote a research essay can be a professional of their topic. People find other people's idea when they write research essay. It helps people to have wide field of view.
10/1/2013 06:38:37 pm
1.I think there are some big differences between an essay and a research paper. An essay is written from the view of a first person and is mainly constructed by writer's own feeling and thoughts. Because of this, we use "I" when we write an essay. On the other hand, a reseach paper is a paper which introduces the fact or general opinion from the view of third person. In additinon, length is also a difference. A research paper needs to be longer and to contain more information.
10/1/2013 06:47:01 pm
1.There are many differences between essay and research paper. One of those is details. The reserch paper uses person's experiences. Those are the writer's opinion with evidence. So research paper needs more explains in detail than essays. Then essay used "I" but research paper didn't use "I". The reason is research paper has to avoid own's opinion. This mean that we have to write objective opinion and appraisal. So essays are important to use personal things. On the other hand , research papers are important to use objective things.
Leave a Reply.